11/19/11

- Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies -



 
Who doesn't like cookies?! I haven't met anyone, have you? So needless to say when I found out recently about being able to bake with almond flour and coconut flour I was looking for cookie recipes. None of the grain-free recipes really stood out to me until my best friend sent me a link to a different recipe from this blog- Gluten Free Fix- and I searched for cookies. There it was, This recipe! I was intrigued by what I found. No eggs?! No eggs in a grainless cookie recipe? How can this be? I was also drawn in by the addition of walnuts. I love walnuts in chocolate chip cookies. I read over her recipe and figured I could adjust it to my preferences [I changed several things].
These cookies are outstanding! I could eat them every day. My roommates really like them, too. When I didn't have anything to quickly eat as I left for work, I ate one cookie for breakfast and brought one or two to work with me so I could eat on my break. They sustained me for 6 hours without needing to eat anything else. Because of the fat and protein content, they are quite satisfying and- when using high quality ingredients- nourishing. I don't ever recommend surviving solely on cookies, but in a pinch they are great until you can eat/cook some other healthful veggies&protein&fat.
I typically will only bake half the batch [because I eat too many of them!] and then freeze the other half. Thankfully the dough thaws and bakes perfectly after being frozen.

Without further ado:
Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies [eggless]

• 1/2 c. grass-fed butter, really soft
• 1/3 c. ZSweet, powdered [Either powder it yourself in coffee grinder or blender, or buy the powdered kind. I prefer to powder it myself.]
• 3/4 c. almond flour, firmly packed
• 2 tbsp coconut flour, firmly packed
• 1 tbsp ground organic flax meal
• 1/2 tsp teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 tsp real salt [the mineral-rich kind]

• 1 1/4 tsp vanilla 
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp xanthan gum [optional]
• 1/2 c. walnuts, chopped very small
• 1 1/4 c. homemade chocolate chunks [recipe HERE]

- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat butter and zsweet until mixed & fluffy.
- Add flours, baking soda and salt. Beat on low [or use a whisk] just until mixed well.
- Add in vanilla, walnuts, and chopped chocolate.
- Roll dough in to about 24 balls. - Place dough in fridge for 5-10 minutes to set.
- Put dough two inches apart onto parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. *Halfway through baking, flatten cookies with spatula.
- Let cool on pan because they can be quite crumbly when warm. [Or if you need to use pan for second batch, transfer the parchment with cookies onto the counter to finish cooling.]
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container!
- They are best eaten straight from the fridge [not oven] and taste great with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. 

As always, if you make these come back and comment here to let me know how they turned out, if you liked them, or if you made any adjustments. I'm curious to know! :)
-Enjoy eating well-

No comments:

Post a Comment